The Moss Shield
The Winchester Golf Club was formed in 1888, as a result of a growing interest in the game of golf, shown largely by the masters of Winchester College, the Officers of the Military, and a number of local gentlemen. The man who decided to do something about this, in a practical way, was The Rt. Hon. The Earl of Northesk. He called a meeting of all interested parties, which was held in the Winchester Guildhall. At this meeting, it was decided that a Golf Club be formed. Mr Richard Moss was elected as its first President, and Lord Northesk, Captain.
The Club introduced Spring and Autumn meetings. The Earl of Northesk presented a silver bowl, to be played for at each of the meetings, and Richard Moss, a Shield to be presented to the Club champion.
Richard Moss (1823 – 2 March 1905) was an English brewer and Conservative politician who sat in the House of Commons in two periods between 1880 and 1892. Moss was the son of Richard Moss of the City of London. He was educated privately and was involved in brewing interests in London before becoming a brewer in Winchester. He was secretary and later chairman of the County Brewers' Society and took part in the amendment of the licensing laws in 1869 and 1872. He was one time master of the Worshipful Company of Scriveners. At the 1880 general election Moss was elected Member of Parliament for Winchester. He held the seat until 1885. He regained the seat in a by-election in 1888 and held it until 1892. Moss died at the age of 81.
Holders of the Moss Shield